Daily Devotional – December 31
There is an active and vigorous debate amongst creation researchers as to the order of events as God created the entire universe early in creation week. One of the most common questions asked by Christians concerning the age and size of the universe is how light could have reached the Earth in six literal days when the universe is so large. It currently takes light 13 billion years to travel from one side to the other. There are at least four competing models that address this problem, but it is yet to be determined which model most satisfactorily answers all the related observations.
1) According to special relativity, time itself is variable and depends upon the gravitational pull in the vicinity where the passage of time is being measured. Thus, a mere six days could have been passing on earth, while God was expanding the universe and billions of years were passing further out in space.
2) Space itself expanded millions of times faster than the speed of light, allowing plenty of time for light to reach the Earth in a literal six day period.
3) All of the observations of general and special relativity can be mathematically explained by allowing the speed of light to be variable. This would allow light to reach Earth from distant stars in a biblical timeframe.
4) The initial material from which God made the universe was a body of neutrons equal to the mass of the entire universe. This material would naturally expand, forming the stars and all the elements of the universe in a matter of days without the heat and timeframe required by traditional Big Bang cosmology.
Although each of these possible cosmological models has its own set of issues, they are miniscule compared with the enormous issues surrounding the Big Bang cosmology. For instance:
- The Big Bang does not work without the assumption of an initial expansion rate one hundred trillion trillion times faster than the speed of light (commonly call the “inflation period” of the Big Bang). Nobody has ever observed such an expansion or explained why or how it could happen or what slowed it down. It is just assumed to be true because, without it, the Big Bang does not work.
- Stars and galaxies cannot form from hydrogen gas and have never been seen to form. Gases expand; they do not coalesce together. So, it is assumed that 95% of all the matter and energy in the universe is a mathematical convenience called “dark matter and dark energy.” This invisible construct has never been observed, measured, nor seen – it is just assumed to exist because without it, the Big Bang does not work.
- A consequence of the Big Bang is that half of all material created at the beginning should be antimatter. Yet, all matter we see and measure is “real matter.” Thus, experiments show that the processes that supposedly made everything do not match everything we measure and observe. This problem is simply ignored.
- The most basic observable and testable law of science continuously confirms that matter and energy can never pop into existence. Nothing produces nothing, yet the Big Bang ignores this and has to assume that everything came from nothing.
- The constants of the universe are PERFECTLY tuned. To explain the universe as it now exists based on a Big Bang explosive expansion requires a total mass that could not be changed by even the weight of a single grain of sand. This is so incredible to researchers that the most common solution amongst cosmologists is to believe we are just one of an infinite number of unobservable universes, and since the number of universes out there is infinite, every possible variation is guaranteed. This nonsense is accepted as science because without believing in this, the Big Bang is untenable.
By leaving God out of their thinking and seeking to become wise without acknowledging God has been involved in creation, modern scientists have become fools.
[They] forgat his works, and his wonders that he had shewed them.
~ Psalm 78:11
Daily Devotional – December 30
In October of 2015, a massive crack mysteriously opened up in the foothills of the Bighorn Mountains (Wyoming, USA). This massive gash appeared within two weeks. The “gash” (as the locals like to call it) measured 2250 feet long and 150 feet wide. There were no earthquakes reported in the area. One geologist wrote, “It’s an impressive example of just how quickly very large geological events can occur under the right conditions.” Another wrote of being “awed to see the Earth change so dramatically, so quickly.”
Evolutionists are trained to interpret almost all geological features in terms of slow, gradual processes; so rapid changes such as this are a surprise to them. Meanwhile, those who have a “Flood geology” framework realize that catastrophes can happen in the present and have happened in the past. The Earth can change dramatically and quickly.
And the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed them up together with Korah….
~ Numbers 26:10
Daily Devotional – December 29
Did you know that sea turtles have a built-in compass? Magnetic compasses are important for navigation; they enable people to tell directions by using Earth’s magnetic field. Loggerhead turtles (Caretta caretta) must stay within the North Atlantic Gyre, the circular ocean current system that surrounds the Sargasso Sea. Biologists tested these turtles by putting them in water tanks surrounded by electric coils that generated an artificial magnetic field. As they changed the variables, they found that the turtles again and again would swim to where they thought the gyre was.
The conclusion is that these sea turtles use magnetic measurements to stay in the North Atlantic Gyre. Did a compass happen by accident and chance? When you see a compass, you know there must be a compass-maker. God cares for His sea turtles by giving them built-in compasses.
The sea is his, and he made it:….
~ Psalm 95:5
Daily Devotional – December 28
The geological column in our textbooks has been used by evolutionists to represent creatures evolving over millions of years. Did you realize, however, that there are many “inconvenient” fossils? Here are just a few:
- Evolutionists have to explain from where birds came. So, they assume two-legged, upright walking dinosaurs evolved into birds. Yet, a fossil dinosaur with three fully-formed birds in its stomach has been found in China.
- Grass has been found in fossilized dinosaur dung (coprolite). Yet, for a century, evolutionists have taught that grass appeared 10 million years after the dinosaurs went extinct. How could a dinosaur eat something that did not yet exist?
- The remains of a dinosaur were found alongside a fossil of a doglike mammal. Mammals of this size were not supposed to have evolved until long after the dinosaurs disappeared.
- Fossil pollen, evidence of flowering plants, has been found in the Precambrian layer 550 mya (million years ago), but flower pollen should not appear in the fossil record until 160 mya.
- Also found in the same layers and fossil beds with dinosaur fossils are ducks, squirrels, badger-like creatures, beaver-like creatures, platypuses, bees, pine trees, frogs, and others. According to a standard evolutionary timescale, these creatures belong in different geological times and should not be there. Yet they are.
These are just a few of the evolutionists’ “inconvenient fossils” found in the fossil layers. The Flood of Noah’s day generally buried things in ecological zones where they lived but at times washed creatures in from different zones. This is the best explanation for these “inconvenient fossils.” They were buried simultaneously, because they lived simultaneously. The simplest explanation is also the correct explanation - the Flood of Noah’s day best explains these “inconvenient fossils.”
And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man: All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died. And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.
~ Genesis 7:21-23
Daily Devotional – December 27
We are still discovering new capabilities and features of the human body. It has long been assumed that humans cannot hear ultrasonic sound because the mechanisms within our ear do not respond to sound wavelengths that small. Yet, Dr. Patrick Flanagan was issued two patents in 1958 for his invention of a device he called the Neurophone,TM which coverts normal sound into ultrasonic signals. He showed that the human brain was able to “hear” and interpret these signals. It has taken almost 50 years to explain this capability.
Dr. Martin Lenhardt of the University of Virginia recently discovered that a tiny organ in our inner ear (that is normally associated with balance) is also responsible for our ability to sense ultrasonic sound. This organ, called the saccule, is capable of responding to ultrasonic sound and sending the signals to the human brain. Lenhardt discovered that nerves from the peasized saccule are distributed throughout the brain - some going to the area of the brain that computes sound while others are distributed into areas concerned with long-term memory.
In an age where some would have us believe almost all discoveries of science have already been made, there is much yet to be learned about the creation – including the design of our own bodies!
There is none holy as the Lord: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God.
~ 1 Samuel 2:2
Daily Devotional – December 26
What causes the wind? Wind is air in motion. It moves from regions of higher pressure to those of lower pressure. The pressure variations are a result of the uneven heating of the Earth by the Sun. Along the equator, more solar radiation is absorbed. The warmed air moves north or south. Wind is constantly stirring up the atmosphere. The wind direction depends on many factors - such as the spin of the Earth, cloud cover, barometric pressure, land topography (mountains and valleys), etc… Without wind, our world would be a hot, stagnant place!
Farmers often put up a weather vane in order to know the wind direction and be prepared. When reading a wind vane, farmers know the arrow points into the wind. A metal image of a rooster is often placed atop a weather vane to allow the wind orientation to be easily seen. Why do many of our wind vanes have a rooster on display? The rooster represents Jesus’ prophecy of Peter’s betrayal - that Peter would deny him three times before the rooster crowed.
In Scripture, the Holy Spirit is compared to wind. How is wind like the Holy Spirit? The wind has no shape or form. It is invisible and mysterious, yet its presence is known by its effects - the same as the Holy Spirit. The wind is a powerful force; it cannot be stopped or controlled by anyone, the same as the Holy Spirit. The wind shows great variety, from a gentle soft breeze to hurricane force. In the same way, the Holy Spirit may gently bring a person to know Christ or use a dramatic method (such as an earthquake with the jailer in Acts 16). “The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit” -John 3:8.
I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.
~ Luke 22:34
Daily Devotional – December 25
The Old Testament has hundreds of specific prophecies concerning Jesus Christ. These prophecies were spoken of hundreds of years prior to his birth. Here are but a few:
|PREDICTION||OLD TESTAMENT||NEW TESTAMENT|
|Virgin birth||Isaiah 7:14||Matt. 1:23|
|Birth in Bethlehem||Micah 5:2||Matt. 2:6|
|Fleeing to Egypt||Hosea 1:1||Matt. 2:15|
|Crying in Ramah||Jeremiah 31:15||Matt. 2:18|
|John’s voice in the wilderness||Isaiah 40:3||Matt. 3:3|
|Holy Spirit descending on Jesus||Isaiah 11:2, 61:1||Matt. 3:16|
|Blind receive sight||Isaiah 35:6||Matt 11:5|
|Jesus’ 3 days & 3 nights buried||Jonah 1:17||Matt. 12:40|
|Speaking in parables||Psalm 78:2||Matt: 13:35|
|Jesus’ entry on donkey||Zechariah 9:9||Matt. 21:5|
|Jesus would cleanse the Temple||Malachi 3:1||Matt. 21:12|
|Jesus betrayed for 30 silver pcs.||Zechariah 11:13||Matt. 27:9-10|
|Dividing Jesus’ garments by lots||Psalm 22:18||Matt. 27:35|
|Crucified between two robbers||Isaiah 53:12||Matt. 27:38|
|Jesus buried in rich man’s tomb||Isaiah 53:9||Matt. 27:57-60|
|Not a bone would be broken||Psalm 34:20||John 19:33|
|Jesus’ side would be pierced||Psalm 22:18||John 19:23|
|Jesus ascends into heaven||Psalm 68:18||Acts 1:9|
No ordinary book would have hundreds of prophecies fulfilled. This is God’s method of validating that the Bible was inspired for our benefit by the One who made time. Therefore He knows the future. The Bible is truly the inspired word of God!
[Jesus Christ] has been made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures has been made known to all nations…
~ Romans 16:26 (NKJV )
Daily Devotional – December 24
In 1991, a 3,000 year old frozen corpse was found in the Austrian-Italian Alps. This “ice-man” was named Otzi. Along with his frozen corpse were found a longbow of yew wood, a framed backpack, copper ax, dried fruit, other foods, a first aid kit of birch bracket fungus (which is a powerful pharmaceutical), and a fire-making kit that included flint and ores for making sparks. His last meal was goat meat and bread cooked over a charcoal oven. Otzi doesn’t sound like a stone age brute, does he? In actuality, sophisticated, intelligent human beings have always existed.
But the surprises didn’t stop there. Scientists also found a strain of ulcer-causing Helicobacter pylori within his body that is essentially identical to what we find today in Central and South Asia. This H. pylori has not changed for thousands of years! Otzi had an ulcer just like modern man, and it was caused by the same bug Helicobacter pylori.
Otzi, the ice man, fits the true history of the Bible. Adam and Eve and their descendants were intelligent people. After the Flood, the Tower of Babel was built; God confused their languages, and people were scattered across the face of the Earth. Otzi was one of those descendants.
So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city. Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
~ Genesis 11:8-9
Daily Devotional – December 23
Visitors on cave tours are almost always told that the stalactites and stalagmites have taken thousands, if not millions, of year to form. The claim is frequently made that a stalactite takes a full century to grow only one inch. Always consider, however, what you are not being told! For instance:
- Stalactites in the basement of the Lincoln Memorial are huge. The memorial was built during the 1930s with a basement. Rainwater seeping through the marble floor has formed stalactites up to five feet in height!
- A concrete railroad bridge in Wooster, Ohio, had a stalactite growing underneath that was over 12 inches long. Only twelve years earlier, the bridge had been cleaned of stalactites.
- Foot-long stalactites have grown in lime-rich mines of Newcastle, Australia. These mines are less than 40 years old.
Stalactites grow where water seeps through limestone rock, dissolving limestone. When water containing the dissolved limestone enters the cave roof, the water evaporates leaving the limestone behind. If there are any remaining water droplets, they fall to the cave floor and evaporate, leaving behind the deposit, in this case, a stalagmite.
During past periods of massive water movement through the ground (such as during the Ice Age), water would percolate through the ground into empty cave formations to form many stalactites and stalagmites very rapidly. After the Ice Age, there was a great drying out of climates worldwide.
To make a stalactite and stalagmite doesn’t take millions of years, just the right conditions.
I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.
~ Luke 19:40
Daily Devotional – December 22
Deep below the ground near a silver and lead mine of Chihuahua, Mexico, at the Naica Mine, two men were blasting a tunnel and discovered a cavern crammed full of colossal crystals as large as mature pine trees - 50 feet long and 4 feet across. These are the largest known crystals in the world!
These crystals were made of a mineral called selenite. The cavern’s unbearable heat measured 150 degrees Fahrenheit with 100% humidity. Geologists believe that under this cavern is a huge chamber of superheated molten rock that forced fluids rich in minerals up through the fault lines to the surface. These fluids dissolved the limestone caverns and filled some with silver, lead, and zinc deposits; others became nurseries for gypsum crystals (selenite is one variety). The selenite crystals would have grown while the fluid completely filled the cavern. Roberto Villasuso, the mine exploration superintendent, stated that these crystals probably formed within a 30-50 year period. Why such a short time and not millions of years? Because the minerals grew so evenly. If there had been any movement of water, it would have altered the crystallization patterns. The crystals’ clarity and size testify to rapid formation, not millions of years. It does not take millions of years, just the right conditions.
And the likeness of the firmament upon the heads of the living creature was as the colour of the terrible crystal, stretched forth over their heads above.
~ Ezekiel 1:22